You've taken the first step toward your savings goals. Our flexible and affordable 529 college savings plan is designed to help families save for future college expenses and K-12 tuition with the goal of reducing dependence on student loans and other debt.
Since the UA College Savings Plan is a 529 plan, it's a tax-advantaged way to save for education-related expenses. You can use your savings at nearly any accredited college, university, trade, or technical postsecondary institution in the country. What's more, the assets can be used for tuition at K-12 public, private, or religious schools.+
It's simple math: The UA College Savings Plan can make a real difference to your college savings. The Plan's tax-deferred savings potential creates an opportunity for long-term growth. Plus, the sooner you start saving, the more time your money has to grow, so you'll reduce your potential need for student loans or other debt, too.
With flexible contributions, the option to lock in future tuition value at the University of Alaska, and a variety of investment options, it all adds up—the best time to start saving is now.
Let us help you develop a plan for college savings that's right for you. Our College Savings Team is available at 1-866-277-1005.
Even Small Contributions Could Grow Into Something Big
|Your Savings in 5 Years||Your Savings in 10 Years||Your Savings in 15 Years|
Assumes a hypothetical 6% rate of return compounded monthly, is for illustrative purposes only, and does not predict or project the return of any specific investment option. Investment returns in the UA College Savings Plan will vary and may be higher or lower than this example.
The Many Advantages of the UA College Savings Plan
- Anyone can open or contribute to a 529 account—family members, including grandparents and other relatives, and friends.
- A low minimum investment—you can start with as little as $25/month.
- You or your child's PFD can be used to fund an account.
- Earnings are tax-deferred and distributions are federal tax-free.
- No annual account fee.
- University of Alaska Portfolio carries a tuition value guarantee.
- Participants with an active account for two or more years may be eligible for resident tuition rates at the University of Alaska without regard to residency.
- A variety of no load and no commission investment options.
- Gift and estate tax benefits.
- Account holders choose how and when funds are used.
- Professional investment management by T. Rowe Price.
- Receive gifts with the GoTuition® gifting portal, a convenient way for friends and family to give online.
- Access to the Education Planning Center, an online tool that provides personalized, age-specific passports from birth to graduation, and information on financial aid, scholarships, and grants.
Save for K-12 with the UA College Savings Plan
The 2017 tax reform measures expanded the use of 529 college savings plans to save for tuition expenses at K-12 private, public, and religious schools.+ Learn more about using a UA College Savings Plan account to save for K-12.