Start Saving With as Little as $25 a Month.

The UA College Savings Plan can make saving for higher education a reality for everyone. You can start saving for college with as little as $25 a month. Or, you can invest through your Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD). And, anyone can contribute, not just parents.

The sooner you start saving for college, the better. After all, every dollar you save could mean one less dollar you'll have to borrow and pay back with interest.

Simply follow three easy steps to get started:

Options for you to open an account:

Use your PFD. You can designate half of your and/or your child's PFD to be contributed automatically in the UA College Savings Plan. Learn more about this uniquely Alaskan way to save for college.

A one-time contribution starting at $25. If your income is seasonal, then you may be more comfortable starting your college savings plan with a one-time contribution. The minimum amount is $25.

Start with as little as $25, through Automatic Monthly Contributions. Automatic monthly contributions are an easy way to help meet your college savings goals. You can set your monthly contribution for at least $25 and adjust your contribution amount along the way to make sure you're on track to meeting your goals.

Additional contribution options:

Use automatic payroll deduction. Set up automatic payroll contributions during the enrollment process and start saving with your next paycheck.

Rollover existing college savings. You can rollover funds from another 529 plan, a Coverdell Education Savings Account or a qualified U.S. Savings Bond.

Give the gift of education. Whether you’re a grandparent, family member, or friend, you can open an account of your own or make a gift contribution to any child’s college savings plan account. You can now contribute to a UA College Savings Plan in two ways: online with the GoTuition® gifting portal or by sending in a Gift Contribution Slip.

Native Corporations. A program that partners Alaska Native Corporations and the UA College Savings Plan.

Compare our three investment approaches and choose a portfolio that fits your family's unique situation.

The Enrollment-Based Portfolios include a mix of stock and bond mutual funds that are periodically adjusted to become more conservative as the child gets closer to the year he or she expects to start attending school.

The Static Portfolios invest in a predetermined mix of stocks and bonds so that regardless of the beneficiary's age, the target asset allocations are designed to remain fixed throughout the life of the account.

The University of Alaska Portfolio includes a mix of approximately 40% stock funds and 60% fixed-income funds for those seeking a balanced, low-cost approach to investing.

Please remember that once you contribute to a Portfolio, you are limited in the number of times per calendar year you can exchange assets into a different investment option for each beneficiary. However, you can exchange assets into a different investment option anytime you change a beneficiary.

Before you begin, please make sure you have the following information on hand.

  • Minimum Required Account Funding Options:
    - One-time $25 minimum contribution
    - $25 per month for Automatic Monthly Contributions
    - PFD contributions for Alaska residents
    - Employer Payroll Deduction Option through participating employers
  • Account Holder and Beneficiary Information:
    - Name
    - Date of birth
    - Social Security number
  • Account Holder Information:
    - Residential street address

If you would like to use an electronic funds transfer from a bank account to fund your account, the following information is also needed:

  • Bank routing number
  • Bank account number

It's never too early to start saving for college. So, let's get started. We offer these easy and convenient ways to open your UA College Savings Plan account. Choose the option that works best for you.

open your account online

Open your account online. The moment your account is set up, you'll be able to access it.

Open your account over the phone. Call 1-866-277-1005 to speak with a College Savings Team Member.

Download an Enrollment Kit. You'll receive a packet with everything you need to open an account. Then mail it, along with a check for your initial contribution, to:

UA College Savings Plan
PO Box 17300
Baltimore, MD 21297-1300

Answer "Yes" to the Alaska 529 question on your PFD application. You can designate half of your PFD, half of your child's PFD or half of both to be directly invested in the plan.

Questions? Don't hesitate to call.

Call our College Savings Team at 1-866-277-1005. We'll be glad to give you whatever help you may need.

how to get started